PERSONAL PATTERN! I did this quite a while ago, and I still wear it all the time. I posted a hat a little bit ago called the Hermione Heart’s Ron Hat and I really liked the open work in that. So, I decided to design a headband that just used the yarn overs to make a pattern. Here it is!
1) CO 2 and inc. 1 at the beginning of each of the next rows until you have 13 stitches
2) k all
3) k1 p12 k1
4) k all
5) k1 p2 YO k2tog p3 YO k2tog p3 k1
6) k all
7) k1 p3 Yo k2tog p3 YO k2tog p2 k1
8) k all
9) k1 p4 YO k2tog p3 YO k2tog p1 k1
*repeat steps 2 through 9 until headband is the desired length*
10) k2tog at the beginning of each of the next rows until only 2 remain
11) k2tog and tie ends together
12) wear it!
Mine was knit out of fairly stretchy wool and ended up being about 14 inches. You should knit it slightly smaller than the circumference of your head, so it fits snuggly and keeps your hair back.